Greetings, fellow CRMers! After removing a managed solution, have you received the following error when attempting to login to the CRM website?
If you have, look no further for the solution.
This particular error is due to a leftover sitemap reference to a deleted entity. Keep in mind that CRM will normally remove all references from the sitemap when removing a solution. If CRM is unable to do so, it will throw an error and prevent the solution from being removed. However, instances have occurred where this is not the case when removing a managed solution.
Here’s how to remedy a situation like this step by step:
- Download the SiteMap Editor Tool which is part of the XRM Toolbox from CodePlex: http://xrmtoolbox.codeplex.com/
- Once you have downloaded and extracted the above tool, you will see a screen like the one shown below.
- Within the above window, click on SiteMap Editor.
- For the purposes of this demonstration, let’s say you want to connect to a CRM On-Premise organization. However, this tool also works with CRM Online. Enter in the server name and login information and then click Get Orgs. Select the organization from the drop-down and click OK.
- Once the tool connects, click Load SiteMap.
- Important! Make sure you back up a copy of your sitemap before you edit it. Once you have clicked Load SiteMap, you will have an option to save a copy of the sitemap locally. Please click Save SiteMap before editing it.
- Once you have saved a copy locally of the sitemap, you can then proceed to remove the leftover reference. In this instance, I created a test reference to highlight how to locate the leftover sitemap entity reference and named it reference AATest. Once I located the SubArea in question which references the entity that no longer exists, I clicked Delete. After I have confirmed that the entity was not referenced in any other areas or groups, I published the changed by clicking Update SiteMap.
After reloading refreshing the browser, the sitemap was able to load properly and I was able to login to CRM as usual.
If you want to know how to modify the sitemap without using the tool mentioned above, check out our blog All About Sitemap Editing in CRM 2011. If you need any additional help with the above steps or would like us to fix it for you, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support staff.