Ever want to do mass updates to Opportunities in CRM but many of the records that need to be updated are closed? Well, it’s easy to do with CRM 2011’s “Make this data available for re-importing” feature!
Why would you want to mass update closed Opportunities in CRM 2011? One reason is that you may want to remove an option set value. You can’t simply delete it without leaving the field blank on the closed records, so it needs to be mapped to another value.
If you want to learn more about the Data Import Wizard before proceeding, check out these other posts:
Ready to update some records?
- Create an Advanced Find view for the records that need to be updated. In this example, we can see that “no response” and “no decision” are really telling us the same thing, so we want to change all the “no response” values to “no decision” and remove “no response” from the option set.
- Run the Advanced Find query and then press the button on the ribbon.
- In the resulting dialog box, check “Make this data available for re-importing by including required column headings and press the Export button. (Note: If your query returns more than one page, the dialog box will have an option to export all rows from all pages. Also select this option.)
- Save and Open the file in Excel.
- Edit the column that needs to be updated. In this example, we are changing the Status Reason from No Response to No Decision. Because this is an option set in CRM, it is an option set in Excel as well.
- Save the changes in Excel. You will receive the following alert. Press “Yes” to continue.
- On the Opportunity list view, press the Import Data button on the ribbon.
- In the Upload Data File dialog box, browse for the file and press Next and then Submit. The records will be updated.
In our scenario, we also needed to then go back and remove the discontinued value from the Option Set so it would not be available for future selection, and then we were done.
Need more information on Option Sets? Check out When to use a Global Option Set vs a Custom entity.