Announcements have been in Microsoft Dynamics CRM for years, but few companies really leveraged them because if users didn’t set their homepage to the announcement screen, they never saw the notices. The advent of Dashboards has changed the game significantly since those days. You can now bring elements from all over CRM into once place so that you have a true command center to launch your day from! When you add Announcements to the dashboard in CRM 2011, you can reduce email clutter by posting relevant information in one place and ensuring it is broadcasted to all CRM users.
When you click on Announcements in the main navigation menu, the URL is the main CRM URL. So, you cannot point to the URL. This is easily fixed using a Web Resource. You then add the resource to your dashboard.
Note: New announcements are still created from Settings>>Administration>>Announcements.
To create the Web Resource
- Type the following code into a text editor and save it as “announcementsondashboard.htm”
- In CRM, navigate to Settings>>Customizations>>Customize the System>>Web Resources and press the new button
- In the dialog box, enter the name and Display Name “Announcements” and set the Type to Web Page (HTML) and save
To add the Web Resource to the Dashboard
- Create a new or edit an existing Dashboard
- In the Edit Dashboard Window, press the Web Resource button
- In the Web Resources Properties box, search for the new_announcements resource, provide a Label name and save
- Save the Dashboard
That’s all there is to it! Begin leveraging the power of Announcements today.