When using Visual Studio 2015 with the Dynamics 365 Authoring Toolkit there are known compatibility issues with uploading RDLs. If you have just installed and configured Visual Studio 2015 to edit Reports for Dynamics 365 but keep getting error messages, this blog may assist you.
If a user attempts to upload the saved RDL from the main project folder (example): C:\Users\wgold\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\’ProjectName’\’Project Folder’\Report.rdl the following generic error message may occur:
In order to work around this error message:
1. Open the report solution in Visual Studio 2015.
2. Go to Project > Properties
3. Change the ‘TargetServerVersion’ from SQL Server 2016 to SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012 or 2014 and click Apply then click OK.
4. The Next Step is to click ‘Preview’ in the report for a copy of the RDL to be saved to the BIN\DEBUG Folder. Please note, you MUST click Preview for this to work correctly, just clicking save will not apply changes to the DEBUG Folder.
5. Final Step – find the .RDL report file in the BIN\DEBUG Folder shown below then UPLOAD TO DYNAMICS 365!
Check out our blog for more troubleshooting tips and tricks!
Happy Dynamics 365’ing!