Microsoft announced that they will be planning on deprecating the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Outlook Client in the Dynamics 365 July 2017 Update and will be focusing on the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook.
To put your mind at ease, depreciation of the Outlook Client doesn’t mean that they will shut it off the day you upgrade. This means that the Microsoft Product team will not be dedicating many resources into updates/fixes and these will eventually go away completely. While some users might be saddened by this move, many IT departments will be jumping for joy. No more going to end users’ machines to install, uninstall, configure or troubleshoot! Once the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook has been deployed, it will be available to users across multiple platforms as long as they have the minimum requirements in place.
Before you move to the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, there are some prerequisites and requirements that must first be met. To help you prepare, we’ll discuss these requirements.
- Server Side Sync must be enabled in CRM
- IFD/ADFS authentication must be enable if you are using CRM On Premises
Exchange Server Requirements:
- Exchange Server 2013, 2016 or Exchange Online (O365)
You can use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook with Outlook on the web on the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 10, Internet Explorer 11, or Microsoft Edge
The following configuration is supported:
- Protected Mode is enabled for Internet security zone. To enable Protected Mode: in IE 10 or 11, go to Tools > Internet options > Security tab > Internet
- Protected Mode is enabled for Local intranet security zone. To enable Protected Mode: in IE 10 or 11, go to Tools > Internet options > Security tab > Local Internet
- Your Dynamics 365 URL is in the Local intranet security zone list of trusted websites. In IE 10 or 11, go to Tools > Internet options > Security tab > Local intranet > Sites > Advanced
- Google Chrome (latest version) on Windows
- Firefox (latest version) on Windows
- Apple Safari (version 9 or version 10) on Mac or on OSX
Supported operating systems for Outlook on the desktop:
You can use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook on these versions of Outlook for the desktop:
- Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016
- Outlook for Mac*
*Exchange Server version 15.0.847.32 or greater is required
Mobile Device Requirements:
You can use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook with Outlook on the web in the mobile browser on any of the following phones and operating systems:
- Apple iPhone devices running iOS version 8, 9, or 10
- Android phones running Android 4.4 (KitKat) or 5.0 (Lollipop), 6 (Marshmallow), or 7 (Nougat)
- Windows Phone devices running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
Here are some additional resources for the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook:
- Official Microsoft Dynamics 365 App for Outlook User’s Guide can be found here
- TechNet Article on how to Deploy Dynamics 365 App for Outlook can be found here
If you meet these requirements you should be ready to make the move! For more helpful Dynamics 365 tips you can check out our blog page here.
Happy Dynamics 365’ing!