If you’re a CRM Online customer, you may find that you’d like to have direct access to the database to perform advance reporting or utilize business intelligence tools that otherwise wouldn’t be able to communicate with your CRM Online organization. Scribe provides a robust and easy-to-use tool that makes a copy of data in your CRM Online organization and syncs that data to an on-premises database that you have full control over. In part one of our Scribe Online Replication Service blog series, we’ll be laying the foundation to get started using Scribe.
So first things first, use these instructions for moving data from CRM Online to an on-premises SQL instance:
- ScribeOnline account. You can buy or try the Replication Services (RS) feature in your ScribeOnline account. Log in to ScribeOnline and navigate to Organization on the left. Then click on the Subscriptions tab and enable Replication Services (RS).
- Determine the server that will be running the ScribeOnline Agent. This will need to communicate between CRM Online and the SQL database.
- Create a new database that will store your CRM Online data.
- Create a Windows or SQL Server user account that will be used to connect to the on-premises database to insert tables and rows.
- Determine your CRM Online discovery URL. This can be found under the Developer Resources page in Settings > Customizations.
- Make sure that the server running the ScribeOnline Agent can communicate with ScribeOnline, CRM Online, and the target SQL database.
Setting Up the ScribeOnline Agent
The ScribeOnline Agent is used to communicate between CRM Online and your local SQL database.
1. Start by logging in to ScribeOnline.
2. Click on Agents.
3. Click on the + New button.
4. Select the type of agent you will need. We will be using the on-premises agent.
5. An Agent Key will be generated that you will need later.
6. Save the on-premises agent when prompted and install it on the server that will be communicating between CRM Online and SQL on-premises.
The installation will perform a System Configuration Check and tell you anything that needs to be addressed before installation.
7. Enter the Agent Key when prompted.
8. Continue through the installation wizard.
9. Restart the Scribe Online Agent service on the server.
10. Once the agent has been installed, you will see the new agent available in ScribeOnline under Agents.
Installing the Required Adapters in ScribeOnline
We will now need to make sure that the required adapters are installed for CRM and the SQL Server in your ScribeOnline instance.
1. Log in to ScribeOnline.
2. Navigate to Marketplace.
3. Install both Microsoft Dynamics CRM and the Microsoft SQL Server.
4. Log out of ScribeOnline and log back in.
Note: Sometimes the newly installed connectors will not show up when creating a new connection until you log back in.
That’s all for part one! Join us tomorrow where we will be showing you the next steps for actually creating the Replication Service (RS) Solution.