So you’ve just used theme functionality in Dynamics CRM to put your company’s logo up in the navigation bar, but you’re not sure how to match the color of the rest of the navigation bar to the background color of your logo. Looking for a simple way to match the color? You’ve come to the right place!
For our blog example today, we’ll be using the PowerObjects logo in Dynamics CRM 2016 on Microsoft Windows.
Helpful Hint: The recommended dimensions for uploading a new image logo is 400 pixels wide x 50 pixels high.
As you can see, right now the background of the logo does not match the standard Dynamics CRM navigation bar color.
To fix the color, we first need to find out the value for the background color of the current logo. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Find and open your logo file with Microsoft Paint.
2. From there, select the color picker tool and click on the background of the logo.
3. On the right of the toolbar, select Edit Colors.
4. On the bottom right of the Edit Colors popup, you will find the RGB (Red, Green, Blue) value of the background color. In this example it is R 0, G 102, B 179, commonly written as RGB (0,102,179).
Microsoft Dynamics does not use RGB values for colors, but instead uses HEX values. We now need to convert our RGB value into a HEX value. You can find a website to do this or you can convert it using the Microsoft Window calculator.
5. Open the Microsoft Windows calculator, press Alt+3 or select Programmer from the menu to enter Programmer mode. If you are in an older version of Windows calculator, select Programmer in the View menu.
6. The calculator defaults to DEC. Type in each of the RGB values and review the result displayed next to HEX to find the HEX value.
In our example:
- 0 will remain as 0.
- 102 will be converted to 66.
- 179 will be converted to B3.
7. HEX color values start with a hash (#) and always have six digits. Concatenate the HEX color values to reach this format and if you have HEX color values represented by a single digit, just add a zero to the left.
In this example: RGB (0,102,179) becomes #0066B3.
8. Once we are back in Dynamics CRM, we can input the HEX color in the Navigation Bar Color fields under Settings > Customizations > Themes.
9. Click Save then click Publish Theme. Now the navigation bar color matches your logo’s background color! Sweet!
Setting the right color is important for branding your organization in CRM. Check out how the PowerObjects marketing team focuses on color as a cornerstone for our internal CRM, our website, and our blog!