When you open Outlook, the default settings have it go straight to your inbox for your homepage. But wouldn’t it be great to have availability to change your default Outlook homepage to a CRM dashboard or another entity from Dynamics CRM? With a small change in Outlook, you can set your Outlook homepage to default to any CRM menu.
Here’s how to do it (note that there are separate instructions for Outlook 2010/2013 versus Outlook 2007.)
Outlook 2010 and 2013
- In Outlook, go to File in the upper left hand corner and select Options.
- Then select the Advanced Menu option.
- Under the Outlook start and exit section, select the Browse option.
- Now you can browse through your folder list and select whatever CRM menu you want Outlook to default to when it is opened. Select OK. In this example, the Dashboards folder was selected.
- Select OK to close the Outlook options and restart Outlook.
- Now open Outlook and it will default to whatever menu you had selected above!
- Select the Tools menu from the ribbon and then select Options.
- Then select the Other tab and select Advanced Options.
- In Startup in the folder, select the Browse option.
- Then you would browse to the Dynamics CRM menu you would like as your default. This the same step as described in the instructions for Outlook 2010 and 2013. Close Outlook and re-open and Outlook will open to whatever menu you have selected.
With this small change, we now have full control over how the user interact with Dynamics CRM. Pretty exciting!